About the Navy STEM Program
In 2017, the University of Connecticut (UConn) and the University of Rhode Island (URI) received a grant from the Office of Naval Research to create a community of students, faculty, and government and industry leaders who will strive to expand the Navy science and technology workforce in the region. Rhode Island and Connecticut represent a critical region for the U.S. Navy.
In 2021, the Department of Defense distributed a National Defense Education Program (NDEP) grant that resumed these activities after a period of inactivity due to the conclusion of the original ONR grant.
Previously, the Navy STEM students toured the USS Montpelier at the Naval Submarine Base New London. We would like to thank Commander Aluin Morales, Chief Brian Biddle and Dr. Robert Lafreniere for arranging this exciting and educational experience!
Previous and Upcoming Events
- Wednesday, April 20th, Captain Jeff Cares, US Navy (ret.) - Author & CEO of Alidade, Inc
- Wednesday, April 27th, Vice Admiral Mike Connor, US Navy (ret.) - President & CEO of ThayerMahan, Inc
- Saturday, May 7th, University of Connecticut Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony
- Sunday, May 22nd, University of Rhode Island Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony
- Dean Burkey Honored for Innovative Contributions in Computer-Based Chemical Engineering Education October 2, 2023 Olivia Drake
- UConn Elevating its School of Engineering to Become a College September 27, 2023 Claire G
- MSE Welcomes Alexander Dupuy to the Department September 25, 2023 Claire G
- New Digital Design Center Aids U.S. Army Vehicle Production September 22, 2023 Claire G
- UConn CVMDL Detects First Cases of EEE This Year in Domestic Animals in CT October 4, 2023 Jessica McBride, PhD
- Guarantees of Optimality: A New Model to Help the Manufacturing Industry Transition to Renewables October 4, 2023 Elaina Hancock
- Honoring Her Mom’s Passion with a Scholarship October 4, 2023 Emily Zangari
- CLAS Connections: Fiona Vernal and Amanda Cannada October 4, 2023 Christine Buckley
- Climate Change and Cattle: Genetics May Hold Answer to Heat Stress Tolerance October 3, 2023 Jessica McBride, PhD
- Study Finds Users Prefer Daily Oral PrEP Pill Despite New Options September 28, 2023 Jessica McBride, PhD
- Increasing Steps by 3,000 Per Day Can Lower Blood Pressure in Older Adults September 26, 2023 Jessica McBride, PhD
- Trails and Active Living Program Expands Access to the Outdoors September 25, 2023 Mac Murray